Welcome to the ‘dance’ section!
Here you’ll find various articles about dance, dance & science, and how dance (and all art) relates to community and culture.
For my fellow b-boys / b-girls – check out breaking specific articles below. What’s a b-boy? Read this.
Finally, at the bottom is some fun / random / ‘other’ stuff about dance (including videos of me)!
For more on science in general, check out the ‘Science & Research‘ section.
- Dance & Science
- Community & Culture
- Articles for B-boys / B-girls
- Other Dance Stuff
Dance & Science
Ramblings on dancing, science, the science of dance, and the dancing of science.
Dance & Science
- The Brain Areas of Dance – What areas of the brain are active during dancing, and why?
- Dancing Makes You Smarter? – How dancing may prevent dementia.
- Born to Dance Part 1 – dancing isn’t just for ‘dancers’, it’s deep inside us all.
- Rhythm can be learned – no more excuses not to dance!
- Stretching for Dancers – Reviewing the Research – Learn the recent science of stretching as it applies to dancers. Here’s the basic article: Stretching 101.
Arts, Community & Culture
Dancing, music, and art connects us. Here are some articles on education, youth projects, and more about why you should care about art – even if you’re not an artist.
- Taking the arts seriously – excellent article from the Huffington Post.
- Education Kills Creativity, and Hip-Hop can help, everywhere, and everyone.
- News: Concrete Roots wins gold for best new business of the year from Halifax Chambre of Commerce for its street-dance programs for youth. One of my proudest achievements.
Inspiring dance videos / stories
- The Inspiring Story of B-Boy Steelo – a moving story about a dancer who inspires me on many levels.
- Rudimental – “Not Giving In” – amazing music video, a true B-Boy story.
- Bhudda’s TED talk on social work through hip-hop.
- BBOY for LIFE – Documentary trailer about bboys in Guatemala City and how dancing saves them from gang violence. Check out their kickstarter page and support!
- Bouncing Cats – New documentary about how hip-hop has a powerful impact in Africa. Check out the trailer.
- Shake the Dust / The Making Of – Trailer for a documentary on the power of bboying / hip-hop all over the world. Must watch.
Articles for B-Boys / B-Girls
Most of the information on this site is useful to anyone – including dancers. But sometimes, I’ll write ‘breaking’ specific articles – especially when I’m asked a good question.
Science of B-boying
- B-boy Stance Science – The science of why confidence and posture is important!
B-boy injury rates and types
- Break-Dancing Will NOT Kill You – A serious critique of a ridiculous news article.
- B-boy Stats – What are the Most Common Injuries? – Interesting data from an actual research study.
B-boy injury prevention
- B-boy Q&A: Headspin BALD SPOTS – Not really an “injury”, but a common B-boy problem!
- B-boy Shoes – Does it matter what kind we wear, or can you just wear what you like?
- Stretching for Dancers: Discussing the Research – Not written just for B-boys, but useful information for any dancer. Want to know more about stretching? Check out the Exercise & Training section!
B-boy injury recovery
- B-Boy Q&A: What should we do about wrist pain? – How to make better decisions when you have wrist pain.
- What to do while you are injured. – Stop thinking about what you can’t do, and start thinking about what you can.
- B-Boy ‘Off-Season’: Do you just need a good, long break? It’s difficult to resist training, but it might be exactly what you need!
B-Boy Exercise & Training
- B-Boy Stats: How much do B-Boys usually practice? – a common question for new dancers.
- B-Boy Q&A: Should I practice with ankle weights? – is it a good idea?
- B-Boy Q&A: Does cold air affect breathing during exercise? – and what can be done about it?
- B-Boy Q&A: How does altitude affect our performance? – should we worry about it?
That’s it for now, but remember: there is way more stuff on this site! Look around!
Other Dance Stuff
Here’s some fun stuff, filed under ‘other’. Enjoy!
- Tony Ingram in ‘Practice’ by Bold Creative – A dance video I was featured in. Check it out!
- My Moves 2011 – Some of my own moves, (admittedly not a lot of dancing) from 2011.
- East Rock Crew Christmas! – a Christmas video I made with my crew back in 2009!
- Finally Babymills – Finally! I nail this damn move (September 2011)!
- Morris smoked me – Me getting roasted by one of the best bboys in the world. It was fun to battle him! (September 2009).
Thanks for reading!
Subscribe, follow on Facebook, twitter, etc. etc. You know the deal!