Here’s a list of articles about exercise science, training, practice, stretching, and more. The information here should be useful for anyone, whether you’re a casual exerciser or an elite athlete. Learn!
- About Exercise
- Important Concepts
- Exercise Science
- Special Considerations
About Exercise: Staying fit and healthy isn’t so hard, and even a little can improve your health tremendously. Read on!
- Exercise – the single best thing you can do for your health: Great video on the many benefits of exercise (even just walking 30min/day).
- ‘The Truth About Exercise’ – Great documentary from BBC-Horizon about some surprising recent discoveries in the field of exercise science.
- Sitting is killing you! Even if you exercise, sitting the rest of the day isn’t good! Check out this excellent ‘info-graphic’.
Important concepts about exercise, for a better understanding of what you should do, and why.
- SAID Principle: Be specific about your training!
- Warm-ups: Here’s why you need them.
- Activity vs. Exercise – What’s the difference? There is one!
- Rest for Exercise – Rest is just as important as training! Learn.
- Muscle Soreness – Yes, you’ll probably get sore. Here’s the deal.
Exercise Science: For those of you who want more out of your exercise endeavors.
Practice: ”Train your brain” – cliché which simply means learning. Includes specific movement skills, like dancing, martial arts, and sports. An extremely rewarding way to exercise.
- Practice 101 – Improve your brain while becoming awesome.
- Practice 102 – What’s the best way to practice?
- Mental Imagery – Imagine yourself being awesome – it works!
- Skill is in your brain: Semantic article, but an important point in my opinion.
- Rhythm can be learned: Yes, there is hope for new dancers. Rhythm is in you!
- Weighted skill training: like using a weighted baseball bat, or dancing with ankle weights… interesting, but is it a good idea?
Conditioning: Train your metabolism (sort of). Includes things like endurance training, sprints, drills, “cardio”, and anything that challenges your energy.
- Conditioning Exercise: understanding this type of training.
- How does altitude affect performance? what’s the best way to acclimate to high elevations, and does “altitude training” actually work?
- How does cold air affect exercise? and what’s the best way to deal with it?
Strengthening: Train your muscles. Increase your strength, build and repair muscle, bones, and connective tissue. Includes resistance training (body weight or weights).
- Why Strength Training is Important: Why you are wrong to ignore this important factor.
- Mental Health Benefits of Strength Training: It’s good for your brain too!
- How Strength Training Works – Part I: the basics of how does your body adapts.
- How Strength Training Works – Part II: a boring, nerdy article about the details.
Stretching: Get more flexible.
- Stretching 101: pros, cons, myths, and how it works.
- The problem with ‘Types’ of Stretching – Part I : what are the types?
- The problem with ‘Types’ of Stretching – Part II : are they actually any better?
- Stretching for Dancers – Discussing the Research : more details for dancers to consider.
- Stretching Improves Strength – Really? I pick apart a popular study.
Special Considerations: Exercising with special conditions.
- Exercise and Diabetes: Type I and II considerations.
- How Exercise “Really” Prevents Back Pain (Probably): It’s not just the “core” – it’s a bit more complicated than that!
Thanks for reading!
Subscribe, follow on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Thanks!