Here are the articles written on this site about the prevention and management of various injuries and conditions. Learn!
- Injury Prevention
- Got Injured?
-First things first.
-Common questions. / F.A.Q.
- Injury Guides
- Message to Parents
(about safety of bboying/aka breakdancing)
- Integrate these things now:
– Warm-ups: seem to work!
– Coordination Training: Balance, Stability, Agility – basically, get less clumsy!
– Stretching? Actually, not really! Even more detail here.
– Stop doing stupid things: the role of behaviour in injury prevention.
– Rest for Exercise: Avoid over-training – don’t neglect rest!
– Injury rates for different sports/activities. Let’s see the numbers.
– Injury Prevention Research – what works, and what doesn’t?
- First things first:
– Just hurt yourself? Try the PRICE method.
– How long do you need to rest an injury?
– Injured? want to stay active? read: what to do while you are injured (a b-boy example)!
– Try ‘Mental Imagery‘ to practice without pain!
– I feel better already… does that mean it healed? Healing vs. Recovery.
- Pain Management:
– Pain gets it’s own section on this site. Why?
Damage does not ’cause’ pain – it’s more complicated than that. Injury healing and pain recovery can be quite different. Therefore, treating pain isn’t the same as rehabbing an injury, so learn more about pain in the ‘Pain Education‘ section.
- Common questions:
– What can I do about muscle soreness after exercise?
– What’s the difference between strains and sprains?
– How do injuries usually happen?
– Acute vs. Chronic: whats does this mean?
– When do I use ice or heat?
– What is inflammation anyway?
– What can slow healing?
– Early Mobilization: How to quickly get moving after an injury, for better recovery.
– Active Recovery: How to rehabilitate most simple injuries.
– How to use ICE therapy: ‘Cryotherapy’ made simple!
– How to use HEAT therapy: ‘Thermotherapy’ made simple!
– Pain killers and anti-inflammatory medication: When to use, and when not to.
– Taping and Bracing: Seems good for sprains.
- For Persistent Injuries: Some things everyone should consider when it seems they are getting a lot of injuries, or they just won’t go away.
– Healing vs. Recovery: why healing might be finished, but you don’t feel better yet.
– Pain: Perhaps it isn’t a persistent injury that’s bothering you, but persistent pain.
– Do you just need a good, long break? B-Boy ‘Off-Season’: written for B-Boys, but something everyone should think about.
Detailed, ‘science & evidence-based’ (but easy to read) guidelines for specific injuries:
– Muscle Strains – Treatment and Recovery Guide
– “Side Strains” – a side abdominal injury. Here’s my own experience with this injury, and what I did about it.
– Ankle Sprains – Treatment and Recovery Guide
Short, basic guides for specific injuries:
– Fractures: a basic guideline, with approximate healing times.
- Message to Parents: Worried breaking (B-Boying/B-Girling) may be dangerous for your young one? Well, first of all, I’m a Physiotherapist who has been breaking for a long time, and I think it’s fine. Maybe I am biased, but now I actually have some real research to show that breaking is no more dangerous than the majority of other sports.
– Read: BREAK-DANCING WILL NOT KILL YOU.
Subscribe, follow on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Thanks!