If you’re looking for articles on the science of dancing, check out the dance section – that’s where I keep them.
- Why Science?
- Science: That s**t works!
- Science is awesome.
- Lab Fun.
- Understanding research.
- Healthcare articles.
Why is science so important in healthcare?
- Why Science Part 1 – Because We’re Usually Wrong. – Learn how we can think something “works”, when in fact, it could be something else entirely!
- Why Science Part 2 – What is it? – Before moving on, what exactly is science (especially as it pertains to healthcare)? Hard to define, actually, but I try my best.
- Why Science Part 3 – What could go wrong? – What if we didn’t use science to determine what does and does not work? Some funny, gruesome, and tragic examples from medicines history.
- Medicine is Getting Better – A reassuring article of the last 200 years of medical science, and how much things have improved. Includes a 45 minute documentary.
Science – That s**t works!
These posts contain a collection of links to news articles, studies, and more demonstrating the great news and success from the world of science.
- Science (Feb 2013) – Bionic hands that can feel, bionic eyes that can see, paralyzed rats walking, and the United States has decided to fund a massive brain mapping project.
Science is awesome
Miscellaneous articles and blog posts on the wonders of science. Not just for nerds.
- How Does the Brain Work? – Excellent, entertaining, educating one hour special from PBS.
- Secrets Of The Mind (2001) – Documentary about neuroscience – inspired me a long time ago.
- The Dancing Plague of 1518 & Mass Psychogenic Illnesses – Interesting history, and interesting science!
- How do Nerves Work? – TEDed Video – Useful neuroscience to learn!
- Scale of the Universe – One of the best things on the internet, ever.
- Old Science! and More Old Science! – Some blog posts of fun nerdy stuff I found on my vacation to Europe in 2012. Ancient science from amazing museums.
Here are some posts that are basically about me having some fun in laboratories. Probably more fun for me than anyone else.
- Lab Fun (Nov 2012) – I recruit 100% of my motor units, and rock mad excel spreadsheets!
- Lab Fun (Mar 2013) – I get my brain stimulated with TMS!
Perhaps a boring section… but interesting to some! Thus, it exists.
- Myth Busting Ain’t Easy – The science of misinformation, why it sticks, and how to correct it!
- Research Articles vs. Review Articles – understanding the difference between two types of references frequently used on this site.
- Logical Fallacies – an amazing resource to familiarize yourself with how we can be dead wrong when we think we are right – it happens more than you think! For example: Correlation does not mean causation!
- p < 0.05 … but so what? Effect Sizes and Confidence Intervals! – why SIZE matters in statistics, and how we should be looking at data.
‘Other’ healthcare articles
Again, perhaps a boring section to some, but many of the visitors of this site are health professionals, therapists, and trainers who stumble upon articles like these:
- Nutrition Skepticism – why I don’t write much about nutrition – too many fads come and go!
- Disease vs. Illness – arguing semantics? or demanding clarity? An important point when discussing placebo (see below).
- The Problem with Placebo – the interesting science of the placebo effect, and why the placebo effect might be a good thing, but it’s probably not a okay to give a placebo only.
- Does science “catch up”? For example: bloodletting works … wait, what!? – Time to deconstruct this annoying statement.
Thanks for reading!
Subscribe, follow on Facebook, twitter, etc. etc. You know the deal!